Top Employer Benefits of a Healthy Workplace
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the definition of a healthy workplace is a work environment “in which workers and the employer collaborate to use a continual improvement process to protect and promote the health, safety and well-being of workers and the sustainability of the workplace…” by considering several factors based on specific needs.
What factors should be considered in creating a healthy workplace?
Creating a healthy workplace will vary slightly from business to business, depending on company needs, the age of the employees, and specific industry concerns. Some factors to consider are:
- Physical health and safety concerns caused by the nature of the work.
- Psychological health and well-being concerns caused by the workplace culture and the organization of work.
- Ways that the company can foster healthy work/life balance, including involvement in the community and personal time with family.
- What resources are available to employees to seek help with health concerns.
Full-time workers spend most of their waking hours working. This makes the work environment an extremely important place for workers to feel “well.” Business owners have a legal responsibility to provide a safe work environment but they can also take the opportunity to create a healthy workplace for their team that fosters wellness. Doing so not only benefits workers, but also employers. Employers may want to look at their workplace culture to eliminate toxic practices like pressuring workers to work unpaid overtime.
Goals for a healthy workplace
Employers should aim to:
- Create a supportive and safe work environment for all team members.
- Model work styles and lifestyles that create work/life balance.
- Create an environment that encourages communication.
- Ask employees about their wellness concerns and create solutions as a team.
- Make the health of employees a part of management practices.
- Create incentives for employees to take time with family and/or contribute to the community.
What are the employer benefits of a healthy workplace?
A healthy workplace has many benefits to employees including increased job satisfaction, morale and sense of purpose plus better physical health and mental well being. Not to mention a better work/life balance. But there are also many advantages to employers, including:
- Better work performance and productivity.
- Decreased sick days and mental health days.
- Decreased incidents of employees showing up to work sick.
- Higher employee retention and ability to attract great employees with improved company image.
- Lower incidences of employee conflicts.
- Workers with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Decreased frequency and cost of workers’ compensation
Unhealthy employees, both mentally and physically, are a huge financial drain on businesses. It is in employers’ interests to invest in the physical and mental wellness of their employees.
Partnering with Makai HR
One of the ways to increase employee wellness is by offering a great employee benefits package. That can be difficult for small businesses but not when they work with a Professional Employer Organization (PEO). When you partner with Makai HR you can get on with the business you are trying to grow while we take care of your employee needs from payroll to taxes, health insurance/benefits and worker’s compensation at affordable rates.
With the cost of doing business in Hawaii at record highs, we know how important it is to keep labor costs in line with revenue. Our plans are priced competitively and include value-added services like time-in/time-out systems. Our three tiers of PEO service plans are tailored to the size of your business and specific needs. We offer a 100% paperless solution which means that your employees can manage their needs through a computer, tablet or phone. We can truly improve your employees work benefits while freeing you up to run your business.
What are you waiting for? Companies who partner with a PEO benefit from 7-9% faster growth, 10-14% lower employee turnover; and they are 50% less likely to go out of business. Contact us today to get started!